The Importance of Keeping Your Rugs Fresh
At Big Red, we understand that your rug is not just a piece of decor, but it also plays a crucial role in maintaining the overall cleanliness and health of your home. Rugs act as a filter, trapping dirt, dust, and allergens that can cause respiratory problems, especially for people with asthma or allergies. Regular cleaning is essential to removing these harmful particles and keeping your home fresh and healthy.
Furthermore, regular cleaning of your rug can help to preserve its beauty and prolong its lifespan. Dust and dirt can dull the colors and fibers of your rug over time, making it look worn and faded. Regular cleaning can help to restore the vibrancy of the colors and the softness of the fibers, so your rug can continue to add warmth and character to your room for many years to come.
In addition, professional cleaning can help to remove any stains or spills that may have caused discoloration or damage to your rug. It can also help to remove any unpleasant odors that may have been absorbed by the rug over time. This can help to freshen up your home and create a cleaner, more inviting atmosphere.
At Big Red, we are dedicated to providing our clients with the best rug cleaning services. Our team of experts is trained to handle a variety of rug types and fibers, and we use only the most advanced cleaning methods and equipment to ensure that your rug is thoroughly cleaned and refreshed.
Types of Rugs You’ll Want to Know About
When it comes to choosing a rug for your home, it’s important to understand the different types of rugs available, as each type has its own unique characteristics and cleaning needs. Here are a few of the most common types of rugs you’ll want to know about:
- Oriental Rugs: These are hand-knotted rugs that are known for their intricate designs and fine craftsmanship. They are typically made from wool or silk and feature bold, geometric patterns and rich colors. They are often considered works of art and can be quite valuable. Cleaning an oriental rug requires special care and attention to ensure that the delicate fibers and designs are not damaged.
- Persian Rugs: These are also hand-knotted rugs that are known for their soft, plush pile and rich colors. They are typically made from wool or silk and feature intricate floral and geometric patterns. They are often considered to be some of the most beautiful and luxurious rugs available. Cleaning a Persian rug requires special care to ensure that the delicate fibers and patterns are not damaged.
- Modern Rugs: These are machine-made rugs that are known for their bold patterns and contemporary designs. They are typically made from synthetic fibers such as nylon or polypropylene and are often more affordable than hand-knotted rugs. They are easy to clean and maintain, but they have less value in the market.
- Shag Rugs: These are rugs with a thick, plush pile that gives them a casual, relaxed style. They are typically made from synthetic fibers such as nylon or polypropylene and are known for their softness and durability. Cleaning a shag rug requires special care to ensure that the fibers are not damaged.
- Braided Rugs: These are rugs that are made by braiding strips of fabric together to create a unique texture. They are typically made from wool, cotton, or synthetic fibers and are known for their durability and resistance to wear and tear. Cleaning a braided rug is relatively easy and can be done by vacuuming or spot cleaning.
By understanding the different types of rugs available, you’ll be better equipped to choose the right rug for your home and ensure that it’s properly cleaned and maintained.
Fiber 101: Understanding the Material of Your Rug
When it comes to cleaning your rug, it’s important to understand the materials it’s made of as different fibers have unique properties and cleaning requirements. Here are a few of the most common fibers found in rugs and the characteristics you should know about:
- Wool: Wool is known for its durability and stain resistance. It’s a natural fiber that’s soft, warm, and hypoallergenic. It’s also naturally flame-resistant and has the ability to absorb moisture. The fibers of wool rugs can be easily damaged by harsh chemicals and high temperatures, so care must be taken when cleaning wool rugs.
- Cotton: Cotton is known for its softness and absorbency. It’s a natural fiber that’s easy to care for and durable. It’s also hypoallergenic and naturally resistant to wrinkles. Cotton rugs can shrink or lose shape if exposed to high heat or moisture, so care must be taken when cleaning cotton rugs.
- Silk: Silk is known for its luxurious sheen and delicate nature. It’s a natural fiber that’s soft, smooth, and hypoallergenic. It’s also naturally flame-resistant and has the ability to absorb moisture. Silk rugs are very delicate and can be easily damaged by harsh chemicals, high temperatures, and exposure to light, so care must be taken when cleaning silk rugs.
- Nylon: Nylon is known for its strength and colorfastness. It’s a synthetic fiber that’s durable, easy to care for, and resistant to stains and mildew. It’s also naturally flame-resistant and has the ability to absorb moisture. Nylon rugs can be cleaned with most rug cleaning products without any issues.
- Polypropylene: Polypropylene is known for its low cost and resistance to moisture. It’s a synthetic fiber that’s durable, easy to care for, and resistant to stains and mildew. However, Polypropylene rugs can be affected by high heat and some cleaning products, so care must be taken when cleaning polypropylene rugs.
Recently, cellulosic fibers such as viscose and other variations of the similar fiber have become more popular in the rug industry. These fibers are often referred to as “artificial silk” because they have a similar look and feel to silk but are more affordable. However, these fibers can be more challenging to clean and maintain as they tend to shrink, lose shape, and discolor with exposure to water or high heat. It’s important to be aware of these issues and to always consult a professional cleaner before attempting to clean a rug made of these fibers.
Big Red’s Customized Rug Cleaning Method
At Big Red, we understand that every rug is unique and requires a customized cleaning approach. Our cleaning method generally follows these steps:
Step 1: Pre-Inspection
We begin by determining the nature of the rug’s fiber and its inherent qualities that may affect the cleaning method ultimately adhered for the cleaning of the rug. This step is crucial in ensuring that we choose the appropriate cleaning solutions and methods to safely and effectively clean your rug.
Step 2: Removal of Dry Soil
Using an upright vacuum cleaner, called the Pile Lifter, we remove as much dry soil as possible from the rug. This step is important in reducing the amount of soil that needs to be removed during the washing process, which can help to prolong the life of your rug.
Step 3: Pre-Condition
Depending on the fiber and extent of soiling, the rug is pre-treated with a suitable cleaning solution to emulsify the remaining soil. This step is important in breaking down and loosening any stubborn stains or soils that may have accumulated in the fibers of your rug.
Step 4: Hand Washing
The rug is gently brushed to ensure an even distribution of the cleaning solution across the rug. This step is important in ensuring that every inch of your rug is thoroughly cleaned, from the surface to the base of the pile.
Step 5: Extraction
The rug undergoes an extraction process, leaving it chemical-free, while removing any other contaminants and thoroughly cleaning the rug. This step is important in removing any remaining dirt, stains, and cleaning solutions, leaving your rug clean and refreshed.
Step 6: Drying
Once the soil is rinsed away, the rug is dried in a controlled environment with the use of air movers. This step is important in preventing any shrinkage, warping, or discoloration that can occur if the rug is not dried properly.
Step 7: Grooming
Post drying, the rug is combed with a soft groomer suitable for the rug. This step is important in restoring the rug’s pile and texture, and making it look as good as new.
Complete Care for Your Rugs
At Big Red, we understand that your rug is a valuable investment and we want to ensure that it’s properly cared for to maintain its beauty and longevity. That’s why we offer a variety of related services to help keep your rug looking its best, including:
- “Bringing Your Rug Back to Life”: We can repair holes, tears, and frayed edges to restore your rug to its original beauty.
- “Color Correction”: We can restore the original color of your rug, even if it has been stained or discolored.
- “Fringe Fix”: We can replace fringes that have become worn or frayed, to give your rug a fresh, polished look.
- “Carpet Protector” : Application of a protector solution that can repel spills, making it easier to clean and maintain the rug
- “Anti-Microbial Application” : Application of a solution that can inhibit the growth of microorganisms, which can cause odors and discoloration
- “Odor Removal” : We can remove any unpleasant odors, including pet urine, to freshen up your home and create a cleaner, more inviting atmosphere.
- “Stain Removal” : We have specialized solutions and techniques to remove tough stains and spills, ensuring your rug is cleaned and refreshed.
Regular cleaning and maintenance of your rug is essential to preserving its beauty and longevity. At Big Red, we are committed to providing you with the highest quality care for your rug. Contact us today to schedule your cleaning appointment and protect your investment.